Re: gnugk must be restarted to recognize interface is turned off/on

Hi Sam,

the technical reason why GnuGk doesn't automatically recognize new
interfaces is that it listens to each IP bound to your interfaces
individually instead of listening to inaddr_any (0.0.0.0). GnuGk needs
to do so to get full control over the IP address used for sending
messages.

Since the IP table is only read when GnuGk starts, you have to restart
GnuGk so it can use new interfaces.

Apart from the fact that detecting changes in the network interfaces is
highly OS dependent, I don't think it is practical to let GnuGk react
to each change event, because it needs to re-read and re-evaluate its
configuration for each change.

But it would be doable to have GnuGk re-read the interfaces whenever it
reloads the config, so you can have script that sends GnuGk a HUP signal
whenever your network interfaces have important changes.

I have this on the list of things I'd like to implement in a future
GnuGk version, but so far I didn't find a sponsor for the feature.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Willamowius, Founder of the GNU Gatekeeper Project
EMail  : jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Relaxed Communications GmbH
Frahmredder 91
22393 Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Jan Willamowius
HRB 125261 (Amtsgericht Hamburg)
USt-IdNr: DE286003584

s m wrote:
> hello everybody,
>
> i have run gnugk V2.2.8 on my FreeBSD system which acts as a router. i did
> not configure any interface or home in gnugk config file and gnugk listens
> to all interfaces. every thing is OK until i turn one of my interfaces up.
> gnugk do not recognize this event and therefore gateways which request on
> this interface, do not register on gnugk. if i restart gnugk, it recognize
> interface and gateways are registered successfully. is there any solution
> or patch which can solve this problem? you know, my device is router and
> therefore it is so probable that the status of interfaces changes while
> gnugk is running. i do not want to restart gnugk since it disconnect all my
> calls which is not good at all.
>
> any comments or hints are really appreciated.
> SAM

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.