Re: Polycom QDX 6000 and HDX 7000 / GnuGK as Proxy???

Oliver,

I have a couple of points for you:

1. Video call routing is what a gatekeeper does. Having only one public IP is no impediment. You need to register your two endpoints with two different H323IDs and call them via their registration alias, not via IP address. As Jan said, you can call any number of the endpoints behind firewall using their H323ID of the type User1@public-IP, user2@public-IP, etc. Polycom devices will also take ip##userN address and connect the calls. In general, calling H323 EPs via IP address is no longer considered state-of-the art.

2. You stated that your firewall supports NAT. This may mean a bunch of different things but in the VoIP context the most important feature is opening pinholes. If your firewall does not prohibit outgoing UDP packets then you should be able to use the pinholes to get incoming calls thru firewall. Again, this is easier said than done since there are 4 different types of NAT and typically FW vendors do not identify the type they implemented, so it takes some FW forensics to establish NAT type (STUN server is a very useful tool)

3.Note Jan's argument about the safest possible solution. A blanket prohibition of putting application-specific network devices in front of firewall is a bad security practice. Gatekeepers - also commercial ones - are very hard to hack into. The only real issues may be a DOS attack. You put 2nd gatekeeper inside and then establish a tunnel via using 460.18/19 protocol. If you start the the tunnel from inside of the firewall, NAT pinholing will open it for you and the two gatekeepers will keep it forever. The firewall nazis won't be any wiser. BTW, a prohibition on putting servers in front of the firewall is sort of naive, since there is whole Internet out there. Unless your firewall has a very sophisticated configuration, your external gatekeeper could be in New Zealand.

Marek J. Podgorny
Phone: 315-373-6345
Text/SMS: +13153736345
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and protected information belonging to the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.