GnuGk as a H323 GateKeeper for Cisco Telepresence

Hi people,

I’m new to video conferencing and examining the infrastructure required to successfully be able to create and receive video conference calls from other parties.

More specifically, I’m working on a Cisco SX20 Telepresence system which apparently requires Cisco ExpressWay servers (Cisco’s Gatekeepers) in order to receive and make video conference calls to third parties.

Since we haven’t got this infrastructure I was wondering if I could replace it with the GnuGk software and register the SX20 to it, making it possible to receive video conference calls from external parties.

Obviously SIP is not supported by GnuGk, so it would have to be H323 clients e.g Polycom RealPresence Desktop.

Has anyone been able to set this up successfully?    As an alternative, are there any public GateKeepers available as a subscription service?

The goal is to connect the Cisco SX20 with some type of server/service and allow it to successfully make and receive Video conference calls with the Internet.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris.

Chris Partsenidis

Founder & Editor-in-Chief