Re: [h323implementers] [Openh323gk-developer] Thoughts on H.323 encryption or Why your AES encryption might be worth nothing

Simon

Research Diffie Hellman.  Just because you see the public half of a  one
half of the diffieHellman  (remember there is also a generated matching
private half) means you are anywhere close to decoding it.  Even just seeing
the 2 public halves of a strong  Diffie Hellman may not enough. You need to
gain access to the private key halves.

The attack vector for H.235.6 is to generate and replace the diffie hellman
keys on the way through so they use their own public and private key pair
rather than the end users so the media can be decrypted.  Signing the public
key pair half ensures that the key pair being set on the first leg is not
tampered with when it gets to the other end thus detecting the attack
vector.  This is the best outcome to ensure backwards compatibility with
existing H.323 devices. That is the aim. Not necessarily to come up with the
best solution but to develop a solution that can be easily and gradually
deployed into existing networks.

AFAIK. ZRTP is not recognized by any standards body.

Simon