Re: Which Windows platforms should GnuGk support ?

Am Donnerstag, den 05.09.2013, 22:22 +0300 schrieb Ionut Muntean:
> On 9/5/13 10:11 PM, Earl wrote:
>
>> I will be sticking to Linux x64 and Win XP for the rest of my life.
>> I can't "move on" from XP since there is nowhere to go.
>
> I see no reason to switch to 64 bit Win 7 and many reasons not to.

As Windows XP is not getting any support from Microsoft after April
2014, you better should disconnect it from the net by then.

Regarding Jan's initial question, I would fully understand if you would
stop active development for Win XP right now and deliver necessary
security patches only until April. By then, XP is dead anyway.

>> The German office responsible for security issued a very public
>> and strong warning to stay far away from Win 8.
>
> Really? And why is that? Any info?

IIRC it was the The New York Times who first reported that the Federal
Office for Information Security (Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der
Informationstechnik, BSI) would consider Windows 8 "unsecure and bugged
by the NSA". Thereupon the BSI was forced to issue a press release,
which is a bit more differentiated.
https://www.bsi.bund.de/DE/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/Presse2013/Windows_TPM_Pl_21082013.html
This is in German only, I am afraid. But the key points are:

 * The BSI does not warn the public nor corporates of the usage of
    Windows 8
 * The BSI has some issues with how TPM 2.0 and Windows 8 interact in
   some scenaria.
 * While TPM 2.0 may make sense for some users, the BSI fears that there
   is a actual trend into the direction of taking away control from the
   users/owners of devices to the manufacturers.
   The BSI is not the only organisation to be critical of this trend
   BTW. The CCC warned ever since that this situation of loss of control
   over your own device might arise with TPM.
 * The BSI wants device owners to have full control over them.
   Mechanisms like TPM should be optional/opt-in.

So all in all you see, it is neither a "strong warning", nor was it
issued "very publicly", nor did it say "stay away from Windows 8". It is
more a general critisism of vendors taking away control of devices from
the legitimate owners. This is true for a lot of vendors, but a lot of
people are experiencing it right now after installing Windows 8, when
"Trusted Boot" messes up multi-boot setups and such which did work until
now.

Regards
	David

--
David Dahlberg

Fraunhofer FKIE, Dept. Communication Systems (KOM) | Tel: +49-228-9435-845
Fraunhoferstr. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany        | Fax: +49-228-856277