Re: TANDBERG firewall traversal patent

Hi Esa,

doing it that way certainly puts you on the safe side.

For H.460.23/.24 Simon gave us license terms that also cover derived
works, as long as they keep the license (see H46023_license.txt).

For H.460.18/.19 the question is where does it start to be a "derived
work" that needs its own license. When you use your own compiler ? When
you fix a typo ? When you add a feature ? I can't really give legal
advice on that.

The licensing issue is one good reason to always submit features back
to the project so you don't have to use your own version.

Regards,
Jan

Esa Nyrhinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've always thought that the situation with the licensing is rather
> clear. Any derivative work must apply for licenses of its own or
> deactivate the H.460.18/19/23/24 related code. A derivative work
> meaning any kind of codebase with private modifications that aren't in
> the project's official public repo. This is at least how I've
> interpreted it. So when I've e.g. added new auth or acct modules of my
> own I've always flagged the patented features out of the compilation
> completely or just made sure that they aren't being used in any way
> during runtime. I try to play it as safe as possible in order to avoid
> unnecessary trouble later on. Have I misunderstood this licensing
> issue?
>
> Regards,
> Esa Nyrhinen
>
> 08/26/2013 10:34 PM, Jan Willamowius kirjoitti:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the GNU Gatekeeper project has license agreements for the use of the
> > patents covering  H.460.18 and .19 and H.460.23 and .24.
> >
> > These agreements certainly cover the official GnuGk versions. The
> > situation is a bit unclear how far other people versions are covered,
> > too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jan

Visit us today!