Re: Alternate gatekeepers and neighbors question

Andras Kovacs wrote:
> Thanks. This will help. Would make sense to include 1-2 sentences on
> this in GnuGK manual.

I agree that we are missing the tutorial part of the manual.
What we currently have is rather a reference manual about all the
config options and thats already over 100 pages.
If anybody would write up a tutorial on any related subject I'll gladly
include it. ;-)

> So, in best case, my top level GK will receive two LCF messages from
> downstream partners. One can be ignored, etc. Both contains the same IP.
> This sounds good.

It shouldn't even receive 2 LCFs in most cases. The alternates are
either/or. Only one should have the registration and the other should
notice that it lost it (eg. using the TimeToLive on the registrations).
There should only be a small time window when both gatekeepers think
they have the registration.

> How about routed mode? I did not mention we employ routed signaling
> here. Where the flow of signal will go through when a call drops in from
> an external network to my top level gatekeeper? Will this also forward
> Q.931 down to both GKs? First SETUP message reaching the endpoint will
> win the race?

This should work in all modes: direct, routed or proxied. The upstream
will pick one alternate that sends an LCF and use the signalling
information provided in the LCF. It won't fork the call into 2 paths if
it gets 2 LCFs.

Regards,
Jan