Re: Gatekeeper Redundancy

FYI both the alternate and assigned gatekeeper require that the originating
gatekeeper doesn't go down. If it goes down then the function will not work.

The Auto discovery feature is where a GRQ message is broadcast on the
network and the gatekeeper responds. This can be used for disaster recovery
for endpoints on a LAN so when the main gatekeeper goes down the endpoints
can be power cycled and the replacement gatekeeper will be found however if
both gatekeepers are running some endpoints may register at one gatekeeper
and other endpoints at the other. It also is not a solution for endpoints on
the public internet.

The correct solution is to use H.323 Annex O and use DNS SRV records.
The H323rs record can be used for registration fall over.
$ORIGIN example.com.
_h323rs._udp SRV 0 1 2517 gk1.example.com
_h323rs._udp SRV 0 1 2517 gk2.example.com

The endpoint will attempt to register to "example.com" It will first try Gk1
then if that fails it will attempt to register to Gk2.
The problem is that the only endpoint that supports this is Spranto
www.spranto.com . It is also one of the only endpoints that also supports
plain DNS addresses. This is very disappointing.

GnuGk does support _h323ls record for remote gatekeeper failover. (SRV
routing policy)

Simon