Re: Switching to a new build system ?

Andrew,

GnuGk's current relationship with H323Plus and PTLib goes well beyond
the fact that these libraries need to be available and built. This will
always be required. GnuGk's current Makefile reads large parts of their
Makefiles when building GnuGk which make it more sensitive to changes
their build process than it needs to be and it takes away control eg.
how we name our make targets. I would prefer to make GnuGk with a
simple 'make' or 'make debug'. In addition to that, the current
dependency detection we inherit is buggy which results in failed builds
when singled files are changed.

These issues mostly affect people who work on the development or
distribution of GnuGk. User who have the choice to use recommended
library versions and simply follow a recipe to build GnuGk aren't
affected much. But builders of distributions or GnuGk developers can't
be happy with the current status. Some distributions ship ancient
versions because they can't manage the library dependencies.
So, my aim is to give GnuGk a standalone build system and if that goes
well, do the same for H323Plus.

Regards,
Jan

http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev