Re: H.460.18/.19/.23/.24/.24A support nowinGnuGk / H323plus

Earl

Simply port forwarding TCP 1720 is not a complete solution and it also
requires user to set. The purpose of H.460.18/19/23/24/24a is to provide a
complete no user setup solution to traverse NAT. In fact if you are using
H.460.18/.19 then the port forwarding is simply ignored. When calling an
endpoint that is behind a NAT that supports H.40.18/.19, the gatekeeper will
send an RAS message and the endpoint will call out a TCP connection through
the NAT to receive the SETUP message.

The solution is to use an H.323 ALG in the router. This has it's own
pitfalls. Most of them don't work (not just H.323 but SIP too) in all cases.
I bought a NetGear router for testing and it had an H.323 ALG which worked
fine as long as you did not change your TCP listening port from 1720 then it
just didn't work. The worst part was you couldn't turn the damn thing off.
H.460.23 has the ability to detect ALG's and work with them but if you have
a problematic ALG then this will not help. The best solution I found was to
change the GnuGk RAS port from 1719 to something like 21719 and bypass the
ALG and everything seems to work fine.

Simon