Re: Proxy Mode to traverse firewalls

Hello Andrew,

I’m managing a VC network of almost 70 public high schools, all with legacy Polycom Viewstations, and with every imaginable firewall, connecting from all over the state via Internet. I’m doing almost exactly what you are asking about (If you look at the mailing list posting before yours’ you’ll also see some of what I’m not succeeding at) in the testing phase. I think I may already have a working configuration for what you want. Drop me an email and we can exchange phone #.

GnuGK has its own firewall traversal, and it works very well in the most common situations (at least in my experience). It’s related to the H.460.18/19 approach that the V2IU as well as the Tandberg and Radvision solutions support, but it’s not the same. (But you may want to look up some of Simon Horne’s posts on this list to see the status of H.460 in H323plus and GnuGK development). It also proxies (which is important) and neighbors well (which helps in a situation like yours and mine, with one central phone number database).

 The problem with those commercial solutions for us is the licensing sucks: Polycom lets you use any number of clients up to the bandwidth of the unit, but doesn’t give you a software client for old non-H.460 endpoints. Radvision gives you a software client but charges too much per user (for our situation – we occasionally have 50+ schools in a call).

Hope I can be of some help,

--Paul

Paul E. Garstki

paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I'm Paul Garstki, and I approve this message."

just about anything Open Source.