Proxying question from a frustrated newbie

Hi,

  I am trying to setup a gateway / proxy for a mixture of clients on an
internal network  (polycom, netmeeting, ekiga) which are on a private
(172.16,x,x) network.  The proxy is outside our internal firewall in a dmz
off of our external firewall (ie not directly connected to 172.16.x.x but
with a valid Internet ip address).
  I have the system setup so the internal clients register with the gatekeeper
and can call each other.

  I want to have it so the internal clients can call any endpoint on the
Internet and have the gateway proxy *all* traffic.  Is this possible /
practical ?

  I would envisage adding an internal proxy which is a child of the external
proxy at some time in the future...

  I've been digging at this for about 4 weeks on and off and would appreciate
any help / sample configs etc....

Thanks
          Ruairi