Re: Re[2]: RTP problem with some NAT

Hi Roman,

> I have not influence on all possible providers, but I can modify
> GnuGK for better compatibility.

> I don't know which endpoint require this autodetection. If technical
> support starts to look into each case of "no voice" (it may be firewall
problem
> or codec incompatibility), we will loose too much time. So, each endpoint may
> register on GnuGK from internet cafee or hotspot. How may GnuGK admin
> foresee these providers/endpoints?
> May be make liberal IP/port autodetection as option (on own risk)?

I agree that it is not feasible for support to analyze every case.
However, IMO you should understand what is happening in a few failing
cases before running off and writing new code.  If Simon was correct
(and I was wrong) about the cause in your example, then a simple
configuration change at the softphone should solve the problem.

> SN> If your network includes Asterisk, an IAX softphone would avoid this
> SN> trouble.
> Ghmm. Is "openh323gk" dead project?

Of course not.  H.323 will be around for a long time, and is a must if
you are dealing with the big telecom carriers.

However, most ITSPs dealing with residential and small business accounts
offer SIP as their primary or only protocol, because there is a huge
variety of ATAs and IP phones that use SIP and work well in diverse
network environments.

Also, more and more small and medium businesses are using Asterisk; the
IAX protocol avoids the problem you are currently facing, as well as
offering other technical advantages.

I don't know the nature of your business; perhaps offering the option of
connecting with other protocols will give you a competitive advantage,
as well as solving some technical problems.  Of course, it takes a
lot of work.

--Stewart