How to tackle NAT

OK this a shameless plug :)

Farzad

Just to let you know I have taken over the MyPhone project
At present the only way is contact people behind a router to get the external IP address and manually port forward the required ports in your router to the internal IP address of your myphone client usually the ports are TCP 1720  UDP ports 50000 - 59999. That should work

This requirement is changing, this week I added native NAT traversal support to the free PacPhone  www.pacphone.com  it does not do video yet however it does work through NATs using the GNUGK gatekeeper without requiring any settings. It uses the NAT assist feature built into GNUGK to be able to call people behind NATs. The gatekeeper needs to be on the external Internet and assists both parties traverse the NAT to send/receive calls.

This softphone has some other really good features including end-to-end call security (call encryption), dailling logic, regional emulation (local number only need 7 or 8 digits, software rewrites to full E.164, IDD access code with country calling display etc) and supports a range of low cost USB handsets including LCD (with caller ID) and a speakerphone, they all support contact list navigation and are fully plug 'n play (no extra software) with the pacphone. The phones can be purchased online and shipped worldwide.

It is a system tray application so is non-intrusive, only alerts you when a call is received, right click on the icon in the system tray to bring up the calling menu or lift the USB handset or press a digit on the USB phone, to bring up the calling display.

It can also be converted to any language.and rebadged if required.

The GnuGK NAT traversal feature will eventually make it's way into the myphone project. I added basic support for it into the OpenH323 stack yesterday.

Simon