Re: Some basic setup questions

Hi Jason,

I'm not really seeing any useful error information, regardless of
logging level - I see "IRR Received", then 9 seconds later, it times out
with a "DRQ Received" message.  And I'm still seeing no traffic attempt
to go outbound at all from the gatekeeper (via tcpdump) - it doesn't
seem to be even attempting the connection.

Before you try to call, I assume that you see RRQ and RCF.

When you attempt the call, you should see:
Caller sends ARQ to GK
GK sends ACF to caller
Caller sends Setup to GK
GK sends Setup to Callee

Now, we know that the last step is not happening (on the network),
but how much of this sequence do you see in the log, and where does
the IRR occur?  What does the IRR contain?

Right now, I'm simply trying to connect two instance of MyPhone - one
inside the network, and one outside the network.  There is just one GK,
which is inside the network, protected by firewalling.  The outside
device is currently unable to register with the GK, due to firewall
rules.  Is it possible to make calls to the outside endpoint, without
having it registered to the GK?  I'd like to avoid that stipulation, if
possible.  I configured the outside MyPhone to not use a GK.

MyPhone (NAT) -> GK -> firewall -> MyPhone (NAT)

I'm not familiar with MyPhone, but you may have better luck
if you turn off all NAT options.  The calling phone is on the
same LAN as the GK, so there is no NAT happening there.
The GK should take care of translating addresses in
signaling packet contents, so the called phone should see
only public addresses.  Is it indeed on a public IP?

I added this information to the config:

[RoutedMode]
AcceptUnregisteredCalls=1

[RoutingPolicy]
Default=explicit,dns

[RasSrv::PermanentEndpoints]
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx=TEST_CLIENT  (outside IP configured here)

[RasSrv::ARQFeatures]
CallUnregisteredEndpoints=1

[Gatekeeper::Main]
NetworkInterfaces=[interfaces]

I would try removing the [RoutingPolicy] section,
using xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx=1234
in [RasSrv::PermanentEndpoints], where the called phone
is configured to have number 1234 and the calling phone
dials 1234.  (Sorry, all of my own systems use only
phone numbers, and I don't understand the subtleties
of the other ways to call.)

I try to connect via IP or "TEST_CLIENT", but neither works.  I'm not
entirely sure how to allow calls by IP - I'm hoping I configured that
properly in the RoutingPolicy section.  I have not tried 2.0.9, but the
external IP is configured as a loopback on the host, so I'm not sure if
the NetworkInterfaces element is really needed.

I don't understand what you mean by "the external IP is configured as
a loopback".  Although it may not relate to your present problem,
once you get the Setup to go out, the GK needs to know what external
IP to use in the content of various signaling packets, and
NetworkInterfaces is how you tell it what address to use.

Try e.g. "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1720" from the GK machine,
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the address of the called phone.
If you don't see a "connected to ..." message, you have a network
configuration or firewall problem having nothing to do with
gnugk.

Good luck,

Stewart