Avaya IP Phone

Hi. I'm new to the list and was hoping I could ask a couple questions. I
have a branch office VPN connection to a corporate office using an
iptables based firewall. I have an Avaya IP Phone that connects to the
corporate office, sometimes.

The first time I turned the phone on it tried for four days before
connecting. After a firewall problem, I lost my VPN connection breifly
and this time it took three hour to reconnect. After the next VPN outage
the phone still has not reconnected, and that was a week ago.

Each time the phone successfully connected it stayed up and was very
stable until I lost my connection the next time. So far I've learned
that using these protocols through an iptables based firewall is
difficult at best.

Someone suggested I look at gnugk as a possible solution. I have been
looking at it and have download the windows binaries to try out. I'm
pretty confused about how to configure it for my situation, and if it
will even work. To be honest, I'm not looking to become an expert on
gnugk or H323, I just simply want my phone to work. I looked at the
interoperability list and my phone was not listed.

I think my configuration would look like this:

phone        <-> gnugk         <- VPN ->  gnugk      <-> Avaya PBX
192.168.1.11	 192.168.1.12   iptables  10.0.0.16      10.0.0.20

If that diagram is right, I don't see how to configure this. I point my
phone at gnugk, but how does gnugk on the other end know to route it to
the Avaya PBX?

Am I looking at this too simply? Anyone willing to give me some help on
this?

Thanks,
James