Re: GnuGk/VRRP Howto.

I'm not running in full proxy mode, but I am passing H.245 through the Gatekeeper. I have found that calls on some endpoints will actually stay up during a failure. I'll try to put more in there about the failure modes.

-andrew

Jan Willamowius wrote:
The SendTo= feature is forwarding RRQs. So in a non-proxy environment
you should be able to switch gatekeepers without loosing all calls.
In proxy-mode this won't work since the call states aren't shared.

Frank Fischer wrote:

What do you mean with ".. with complete endpoint state information"?

Where

does the second Gatekeeper get the state information from? Wouldn't

this

mean, that there would have to be some kind of broadcasting or

replication

mechanism to allow the second gatekeeper to keep track of the first
gatekeeper' state? How is this done?

I've written a short Howto on setting up redundant gatekeepers with FreeBSD, GnuGk, and freevrrpd(a BSD implementation of VRRP). It is pretty specific to BSD, but it might give you some ideas to run it on other platforms.

Take a look...

https://rdweb.cns.vt.edu/~anolson/gnugk_vrrp.html

Thanks
-Andrew Olson