gnugk wrapper

Hello, Gnugk users!

I made a wrapper for gnugk for our ("Data Tech Labs") purposes but I
would like to share it with other gnugk users.
This wrapper is written in Perl and requires Net::Telnet perl module
installed.

Wrapper's main function is to execute gnugk and check if it is alive. No
offence, but gnugk often hangs up, terminates or freezes during serious
load.

Wrapper forks into 2 processes.
The first one executes gnugk and waits until it exits. Then it executes
gnugk again and so on and so on.
The second process checks gnugk status port in different ways (refuse,
access forbidden, timeout) and kills appropiate gnugk process if neccessary.
Wrapper accepts all the gnugk cmd line options (execept "--pid" which is
used in wrapper) and passes them to gnugk.
It is possible to run wrapper in different ways: foreground, daemon,
with or without additional debugging output.
Wrapper uses logfile where it logs most important events (gnugk
killing/restarting).
To kill the wrapper properly along with it's gnugk instance you must
kill first the wrapper and only after then - gnugk.
Example:
kill `cat /usr/local/var/run/gnugk_wrapper_127.0.0.1.pid` && kill `cat
/usr/local/var/run/gnugk_127.0.0.1.pid`
It is possible to run multiple gnugk instances which are tied to
different IP addresses (aliases) on one server. Gnugkg wrapper extracts
IP address information from gnugk config file (uses "Home" parameter in
Main section)

Wrapper is developed and tested on FreeBSD. It runs successfully on all
our gatekeepers. It think that it will work on other *NIXes and Linux too.

Take a look at attached gnugk_wrapper.pl and see the comments inside.
Feel free to send me any feedback. I will wait for your critics and
suggestions. I would be really happy if gnugk developers found this
wrapper useful enough to include it in CVS.

Best regards,
Valts Mazurs