How to reload Gnugk config?

Hi, can anyone help me with that:

I run gnugk on Kanotix 2005-02:
Version(2.2.1) Build(Mar 13 2005, 11:47:38) Sys(Linux
i686 2.6.11-kanotix-7)

The public IP is dynamic which requires frequent
reloading of the config file which is done like this

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/gnugk/gnugk.pid

It used to work on my old SuSE 9.1 (and earlier) but
now nothing is happening when I invoke the command.
Connecting to the 7000er port and do an reload leads
to the config reloaded (and that fact protocolled)

The PID is correct as I can kill the gnugk with kill
-9.

I even tried to invoke telnet localhost 7000 and do
the commands but this is highly unreliable.

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance for your help
Regards
Conrad

Version 11 adds new functionality designed to reduce time involved in
creating, integrating, and deploying reporting solutions. Free runtime info,
new features, or free trial, at: http://www.businessobjects.com/devxi/728