Re: [***SPAM*** Score/Req: 03.20/03.00] [Openh323gk-users] addressing firewall issues

At 02:42 AM 13/04/2005, you wrote:
Hi,

I've been having firewall issues such that some of my NATed users cannot hear audio from their softphones. Would enabling GKRouted, H245Routed and proxy enable help address these issues? In some cases the STUN feature of the dialer resolved issues to some users but some did not.  Would any modifications in my gnugatekeeper help solve problem?

Philip

STUN does not work in all cases. If your NAT box translates the UDP port numbers in anyway then audio will fail. It is not fully compatible with symmetric NATs (most SOHO routers) for this reason.

There really is only 3 alternatives.
1. Manually configure the router to port forward listening TCP port and the RTP UDP port range to the EP.
2. Use something like ICE (which includes STUN but covers this and other particular scenarios)
3. Use UPnP (supported by most SOHO routers) to allow the EP to communicate with the router, get the external address and open/close port forwards.

I submitted to OpenH323 (http://www.voxgratia.org/contrib.html#contrib_5) patches and code to add UPnP NAT Traversal support (using the Intel Microstack).
Our commercial Windows DCOM toolkit supports it natively.

Simon

Simon Home
ISVO (Asia) Pte Ltd
developer of the