Re: Re: Help needed on gnugk config

Hi Arturo,

> anyway I made some test and it seems that the problem
> is not due to nat probelm (both of us used netmeeting and  the port
> forwarding set in the right way) my friend can call me but I can't
> call him ( I can call only not natted endpoint) ....  I traced some
> logs but I don't know if they could be interesting.

I tried something similar to your setup and it also failed.
The destination NATed NetMeeting would ring, but when I accepted
the call, the caller would get a busy signal.

A trace with Ethereal showed that NetMeeting listened on a
random port for H.245 (it cannot use fast start or H.245 tunneling).
Because this port was not forwarded, the H.245 connection from gnugk
failed.  Gnugk responded with a Facility message to start H.245
(back from NetMeeting to gnugk), but NetMeeting was too stupid to
deal with it and gave up, sending a Release Complete.

I suspect that if you put the destination endpoint in DMZ it would
work, but that is of course dangerous, especially on a Windows machine.
If you also have a good software firewall on the system, you may find
it acceptable.

If you use another softphone / hardphone / ATA that listens for H.245
on known ports, you could forward those ports, and you should be
able to call it from NetMeeting.  Or, if you have endpoints at both
ends that can do fast start and/or H.245 tunneling, you won't have
to worry about H.245 ports at all.

> I'm wondering if the "double" nat could cause the problem I have with
> the both kind of setup .... I couldn't test it without nat yet ...
> I'll try it asap ... meanwhile any idea and/or suggestion about this
> problem is welcome :).

Sorry, no further ideas.  But if it still fails without the double NAT,
and you find out precisely what is going wrong, perhaps someone can help.

--Stewart