H323/SIP Gateway

Hi all

I need to provide a possibility for SIP clients to connect to the GnuGk. Since GnuGK doesn't talk SIP i'am thinking about using a kind of H323/SIP Gateway. I see two possible ways to build such a gateway: either by a software gateway (like asterisk) or by using hardware devices that are supporting SIP and H323 (and put them together back to back).

I would prefer a software solution. On the GnuGK website i foud the following list of H323/SIP Software:

Asterisk (OpenSource Linux PBX that supports both SIP and H.323)
VOCAL (includes a SIP to H323 translator)
SIP-H.323 Signaling Gateway
Since i have never used one of these softwares before, i would like to ask the community whether anyone has ever used one of these softwares as a H323/SIP Gateway and whether it worked well or not. I'm specially interested to learn about the capacity (lines and users) and functionality limitations (calling number signalling aso).

Any comment, idea, hint, feedback is very welcome.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Frank