Re: no ring tone

> Been using GNUGK for a while now and everything work just fine. Server has
been
> running more that  months and no restart etc.
>
> Two days ago, we have a problem with clients giving no ringtone when a number
is dial,
> all that happens is that calls are pick up from the called end. This also
happens calling
> internally using openphone and other clients.
>
> Has anyone any idea as to what might be wrong?. Could it be our internet
provider cauisng
> fastatart messages to fail?.

Hi Peter,

I assume (if you are suspecting your ISP) that there was previously no problem
with
ringtone, and that the configurations of the calling endpoint, called endpoint,
gatekeeper, and any associated firewalls have not been changed.  If not, please
explain.

It's conceivable that your ISP has a firewall that blocks the incoming RTP
packets,
until it sees outgoing packets from the same port (the calling endpoint
typically
won't send RTP until connect).  They don't seem to be doing this for TCP,
because
I was able to connect to your .162 port 7000 (and see Access forbidden!).  I
couldn't tell
about UDP, however.

If you suspect this is happening, verify (e.g. with Ethereal) that the logical
channels
are being correctly opened, prior to Connect, but that no RTP packets are
arriving.
If so, have someone at the called end verify that RTP is being sent.  It should
then
not be hard to discover where the packets are being lost.

--Stewart