Whiteboard in Windows Messenger

Freddy,

Thanks for the excellent clarification. You are correct
when you say that I was confusing MSN Messenger with
Windows Messenger.
I had no idea that Windows Messenger even existed.

A quick search on the internet found me a lot of info about
Windows Messenger.  It looks like a groovy new SIP capable
replacement for MSN Messenger, but runs only on XP (not a problem).

According to the Microsoft page at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/worki01.mspx
Windows Messenger seems to have all the typical firewall and NAT
traversal problems that are standard to SIP.

I think you have said that Windows Messenger can
tunnel through NATs and firewalls if I download
SER (Sip Express Router) from www.iptel.org
(an open source freebie according to the webpage, yay!)
and run an SER server on a Linux box which is directly on the internet
with no NATs or firewalls of its own.

Just to make sure I am understanding this:
SER runs only on Linux.
Can two Windows Messenger clients behind separate  firewalls
tunnel all of their audio/video/whiteboard streams through the SER server
without my needing to install any special converter software
on the Windows Messenger PCs or anywhere within their local firewalls,
and still happily traverse those local firewalls?
I am asking this question because using gnugk to perform a similar tunneling
trick requires installing a separate local gnugk
with each netmeeting client, or at least within the same firewall,
in addition to a third gnugk on the open internet.

As an aside, is Windows Messenger a SIP-only program
or can it be easily configured to use H323 instead,
which would allow me to do the tunneling
with gnugk instead of SER?

Simple questions about Windows Messenger which are hard
to find answers to on the Microsoft site:

Is it a free download?
Or does Microsoft figure out some sneaky way
to make you pay for it eventually?

If I am using the SER server, do I need to get a user account with Microsoft?

Do I need to pay a monthly fee to MS to use voip and whiteboard?

I will definately be looking into Windows Messenger some more.

thanks again,

Michael

Freddy Parra wrote:
I'm actually referring to Windows Messenger which is different from MSN
Messenger. Windows Messenger does not need to use Netmeeting's H323
capabilities for it to be able to do VOIP, Video, or White Board
Services. Microsoft probably took these services from Netmeeting and
build them into Windows Messenger so that they can be use via SIP.
Windows Messenger uses SIP to establish the session between other SIP
clients and opens up the channels for these types of services to be
exchanged. These channels of service information can be proxy or
exchange directly between each. But this is an entire other realm. It's
an alternative to H323. As to which one you use, depends what you're
trying to accomplish and what client protocols are being used.

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click