Re: binding to particular IP on multi-ip machine failed with 2.2.0

Michal,

As far I have seen on all FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x series it is netmask 0xffffffff for all aliases. However, no idea how it looks on other BSD OSes.

Anyway, I will check the patch you suggested and will let you know the result.

regards, Aivis

Jan Willamowius wrote:
Now I see two possible solutions:
1. Don't validate Home IPs.
2. Parse somehow route table to detect IP aliases.
   But here I have a few doubts how to be sure that
   a given IP is really an alias (is it enough to check
   that netmask is 0xffffffff?).

I think 1.) makes more sense and gnugk could just issue a warning.
That way the user is in control and he still gets a hint why an
incorrect config isn't working.
My guess would be that there are other situations where we can't detect
if an IP is valid or not. So we should just downgrade the check to a
warning.

- Jan