Re: AW: 2.2Beta4

Hi,

> On Friday 20 August 2004 19:31, Frank Fischer wrote:
> Jan,

<description of DEWIM feature, and request for support of the (OS/2
compatible) feature BUGS=OFF in the config file.>

> I like both features a) and b). When will it be implemented? ;-)

Yeah, these are the features we really need!
(But I think MS needs them more than we do :-)

Actually I would be happy for BUGS=OFF to replace "fourtytwo=42" ;-}

> > > I am sure you will find error information in the log.
Finding information, and finding the information you want/understand is
not qite the same thing ;-) We need to support sending eeror
information strait to the brain via bluetooth!

> > With something as catastrophic as this, I would expect a message on
> > the screen - especially if in non-demon mode.

I would like to point out that GnuGK is aware that it has been asked to
support PostgreSQL, and starts with a message saying this option is
compiled in, yet, when the source code was actually missing, there was
no error at compile time, and even at run time the program started with
no visible error message!

At run time, when the missiing code is invoked, it has the error "Unable
to create object PostGreSQL" or something similar which goes in the
log, but this is only displayed if you have trace level 3 or more. Yet
the error has the side effect that your system is running up
termination costs of which you have no record!

What I am asking, is that an error of this magnitude be promoted to
"Fatal" - ie the Gatekeeper should halt on a request for accounting via
software that is missing, regardless of the reason it was missing being
configuration error or CVS checkout screw-up, or anything else.

GNUGK is clearly able to detect the error, and report it. The level
needs to  be promoted to fatal. No mind reading needed here!

regards

Andrew