Re: Proxying Calls Across the Internet

Hi Adam,

I have a similar network, but am using hardware gateways
rather than NetMeeting.  The problem is that the incoming
leg of a call is started by GnuGK opening a TCP connection
to the destination party and sending a SETUP message.
The NAT won't normally pass this (nor subsequent H.245 or
RTP traffic).

If, for example, you set machine1 as the DMZ host on
natbox1, and machine3 as the DMZ host on natbox2, you
should be able to call from machine1 to machine3 and
vice-versa.  Depending on the type of natbox1, you
can probably call also call from machine2 to
machine1 and machine3.  You won't be able to call
machine2.

If you need to have multiple endpoints behind the same
NAT that can receive calls, you may be able to
configure them with different call signal ports, and
set the NAT to forward the various ports to the
appropriate machines.  However, AFAIK NetMeeting can't
do this.  Your other choices include running another
GnuGK behind natbox1, or running one as natbox1.
If that's the only location with multiple endpoints,
you won't need a separate 'proxy' server.

--Stewart