Re[2]: gnugk staticaly linked FreeBSD

-----Original Message-----
From: 	"Zygmuntowicz Michal" <m.zygmuntowicz@xxxxxxx>
To: 	<openh323gk-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:11:45 +0100
Subject: Re:  gnugk staticaly linked FreeBSD

> Microsoft compilers are very good at shrinking down the executable size (it is also a matter of librarier
> - statis Windows executable is not really static, it uses dynamic libraries anyway).
> Are you sure the FreeBSD 1.6MB executable is linked statically? Hard to believe... FreeBSD also uses GCC, doesn't it?

Yes it does. I'm sorry, I've made a mistake - I forgot to unpack .gz archive :)))
Anyways, If the final binary built by gcc is something like three times bigger that the binary build with ms compiler then I really doubt (not based on the difference of the sizes of final images, but on quality of assembled code) that there could be any performance advantages using gnugk on *nix vs ms on the same hardware, however I might be wrong. I'm not worrying about that, but wondering what gcc packs in with the openh323 into gnugk, maybe a few chapters of Shakespeare's works?
Actually my windows build was with max optimizations, loop unrolling, max inlining, etc (no optimizations for file size at all) - still the .exe file is quite tiny.