Re: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris - what is better for GNUGK?

Hi All,

I've ran some stress tests in my office, utilizing the following network:

5*H323 CallGenerator -> GnuGK -> 5*H323 CallReceiver

  I used the OpenH323 call generator. Now, lets remove from the equation that
fact that the CallGenerator died long before GnuGK did ;-) Here are some of my
results:

  I managed to initiate around 200 concurrent calls per second, which managed
to sustain an ASR of around 47%, which wasn't bad. This was without utilizing
any RadAuth or RadAcct methods. When those were introduced, it dropped to around
40%. Some tweaking of check_authorize and acct_update on FreeRadius brought it
back up to around 46%. A 1% decrease is something we can all live with - I think.

  I wasn't able to go more than that, as the CAllGenerator crashed on me, but
I suspect I would have been able to at least double it. But here is the trick,
I used a really beefed up GnuGK. Here is the hardware spec for the GK machine:

  1xXEON4 2.4 GHz operating at MultiThreading Mode
  2 GB RAM
  2xGigaEthernet connections
  2x36 GB SCSI Hard Drives

  FreeRadius and MySQL were running from the same box. I think once I finish
the installation I'm currently doing, I'll try to devise a complete set of stress
tests, so we may all have numbers to look at.

  Oh, btw, if you are wondering about the distro I'm using, I'm using Mandrake Linux
9.2 with an updated SMP kernel.

Regards,
  Nir S

Bruce Ferrell wrote:
A better measure might be the number of minutes an hour at peak calling.

Back a number of years ago when I took training with BellCore on traffic measurement for other common carrier the suggested technique for this was to take your traffic for 20 business days, whacked up into hourly readings and average the hourly readings. Done as a rolling average you can track the trends up and down in your traffic.

One voice channel fully occupied for an hour is 3600 seconds of calling. The arithmetic from there is simple. This, by the way, is the basic measurements that TPC uses to provision a central office. There are some additional things involved like peakedness and erlang tables, but you'll get into the ballpark with the just this simple calculation technique.

Vitaliy Yurchenko wrote:

Hi Ray,

You are right with estimations.

I'm looking for an indication of having GNUGK in carrier grade production environment. But I'm not looking for putting 300-500 call setups per second to a single GK :)
It could be nice :), but... not realistic.

V.

3. Do any body using GNUGK for carrier grade traffic (~10M minutes a day)?

i run production traffic but nothing close to this level.
based on your estimates i assume the followint..

300M mins per month would require 600 to 1000 E1s of termination capacity which would be 18000 to 30000 individual DS0s

you would need the same amount of origination GWs registered with the system.

with a healthy 50% ASR for termination i assume you have to double the above

amount of call attempts. so you would need to process maybe 600 million calls.

i am not the most qualified to answer this but i could not imagine runing
this amount of traffic on 1 machine.

regards
ray

Click now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id78&alloc_id371&opÌk