From: Rob Fowler [mailto:security@mianos.com]
Sent: Monday, 11 August 2003 3:48 PM
To: openh323gk-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Openh323gk-users] nat tunnelling question

I would like to use some VOIP apps.
I have/want the following setup: http://www.sarcanthinae.com/misc/aao  (if
this does not work refresh once). Basically I have a linux firewall and a
machine that's on the internet, relatively open. On the inside of the linux
firewall (192.168.1.X) address range I have a few VOIP clients (netmeeting,
openphone, can be changed). What I would like to do is allow outside people
to contact inside people by registering with the gateway running on the
outside machine. I have used the following ini files shown at the end of the
mail here and running the gatekeeper with  ./gnugk -rr -r -t 4 on both ends.
On the firewall I have opened up the following ports to allow the control
and rtp: .. iptables -A specificallow -m multiport  -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport
1721 -j ACCEPT iptables -A specificallow -m multiport  -p udp -i ppp0
--dport 1718,1719 -j ACCEPT iptables -A specificallow -p tcp -i ppp0 --dport
1720 -j ACCEPT ..

I was thinking that in this mode the gatekeepers should tunnel the voice
channel.  The control channel seems to work a bit. A couple of simple
questions:

Is this correct?
Will this work?
Is this possible?

(If I get this working I will document it and submit the document as there
seems to be lots of bits of documentation but it's hard to work out all
this).
--
Rob Fowler

ini file on the firewall:
[Gatekeeper::Main]
Fourtytwo=42
TimeToLive=300
name=GK1
[GkStatus::Auth]
rule=allow
[RoutedMode]
GKRouted=1
H245Routed=1
AcceptUnregisteredCalls=1
SupportNATedEndpoints=1
H245PortRange=30000-30020
Q931PortRange=40000-40020
AcceptNeighborsCalls=1
[Proxy]
Enable=1
RTPPortRange=50000-50020
T120PortRange=60000-60020
InternalNetwork=192.168.1.1/8
[GkStatus::Auth]
rule=allow
[Gatekeeper::Auth]
default=allow
[RasSrv::Neighbors]
GK2=XXX.31.37.25;*

and the following ini on the outside machine:

[Gatekeeper::Main]
Fourtytwo=42
TimeToLive=300
name=GK2

[RoutedMode]
GKRouted=1
H245Routed=1
AcceptUnregisteredCalls=1
SupportNATedEndpoints=1
H245PortRange=30000-30020
Q931PortRange=40000-40020
AcceptNeighborsCalls=1
[Proxy]
Enable=1
RTPPortRange=50000-50020
T120PortRange=60000-60020
[GkStatus::Auth]
rule=allow
[Gatekeeper::Auth]
default=allow
[RasSrv::Neighbors]
GK1=XXX.51.20.226;*

Reports, E-commerce, Portals, and Forums are available now. Download today
and enter to win an XBOX or Visual Studio .NET.