Re: [Openh323gk-users] about Radius

Vlasis Hatzistavrou wrote:

I tend to agree with Teodor.

Even if RADIUS was made to support dial-up and not voice, now all commercial and
even open source packages support it. So, even if VSA's etc are indeed a problem,
the Cisco VSA's at least tend to become a de-facto standard.

Cisco's VSA's are broken. They make it very very hard to do pre-paid calling. Everyone says they have a solution, but none of them work really well. They are either overcomplicated or only allow a single call per account number.

Jeremy McNamara

Consider the situation where you already have a billing system in place for some
gateways who support RADIUS and you need to have a central billing system to
support your the GNUGK as well.

At this moment, I believe there is no alternative other than RADIUS. It is widely
used and accepted.

Best regards,
Vlasis.

Teodor Georgiev wrote:

  IMHO, Radius is really needed for a GK. Some of the users here claim that
Radius should be used only in prepaid (+IVR) VoIP applications.
But the situation is the same in all the carriers.
You have customers and each of them has paid you a deposit (let say, $800).
Your gatekeeper must do realtime billing, so once his (customer's) deposit is
topped-up, the GK must put his account 'on-hold'.
IMHO, Radius is the best solution here as well, though not all of the VoIP
equipment vendors support it. Cisco, Quintum, Voicemaster do. IMHO, all the
reputable VoIP equipment companies support Radius.