Re: Future blog

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes
<gnu_andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For those who didn't see Pekka's blog on planet.classpath.org you can
>> find it here:
>> http://penberg.posterous.com/whats-the-future-of-gnu-classpath
>>
>> He makes some very good points. I agree with all of them.
>
> I agree on the general overtone.  Indeed, I already blogged about it:
>
> http://blog.fuseyism.com/index.php/2010/11/03/the-homogenisation-of-the-java-platform/
>
> There are several inaccuracies in the points themselves.  I'm not too
> surprised, given that Pekka is still new to the project, but I am surprised
> that you'd agree wholeheartedly with such little hesitation.

I hope my inaccuracies didn't get into the way of the overall point.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes
<gnu_andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mauve has not been abandoned (as you acknowledge below).  You merely
> need to look at the logs to see that tests have been added e.g.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mauve/gnu/testlet/java/security/Policy/setPolicy.java?cvsroot=mauve
>
> I posted to the Mauve mailing list about this last week.  It is in the same
> state as GNU Classpath, in that there are very few contributors, but it has
> not been abandoned.

Sorry about that. It looked abandoned last time I checked it out but I
guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes
<gnu_andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1.6 work has already been done on GNU Classpath, though that is now
> some time back; it's all there in the mailing list archives though.

Last time I tested Jato with GNU Classpath, there were some obvious
missing 1.6 APIs in java.lang.Math, for example. I need to check if
that's changed now. The overall feel I get from GNU Classpath is that
it's quite firmly stuck at 1.5 level, though.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes
<gnu_andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is no 1.7 API to implement yet, so that's a pointless statement.
> I also tend to still believe in the general Classpath spirit that we
> implement primarily to match the requirements of applications, not
> specific applications.  We have no hope of ever TCKing the thing
> anyway, and to my knowledge it's never been used with a JDK that's not
> Oracle-based so I have no trust in its reliability.

There's APIs that are likely to make it into 1.7 (e.g. NIO2). I don't
see much to be gained from not implementing them now. You might have a
different view on what should be implemented and what not but that
doesn't make my statement pointless.

>> Now the cool thing would be if I said "lets do them all right now!".
>> But instead I am going on vacation and be offline for about two weeks.
>> Sorry about that. But I didn't want to not respond at all.
>>
>> As soon as I am back I would like us to at least start moving to
>> mercurial on savannah if people don't mind.
>
> Yes, I do mind.
>
> We already discussed this some time back:
>
> http://developer.classpath.org/pipermail/classpath/2008-June/002629.html
>
> and nothing happened.  I don't particularly see any huge benefit to
> moving the repository to a different version control system.  It would
> make more sense if there were lots of contributors but there aren't.
> As is, if you're going to put some time in, I'd rather it was spent
> reviewing patches than messing about with the VCS.

Hey, it's not as if I'm making this up! This is a genuine experience
from someone who wanted to contribute a simple thing to GNU Classpath.
While *you* don't see the benefit from transitioning to Mercurial or
git, I certainly do, and I claim other people who are used to modern
tooling see that as well.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes
<gnu_andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One of Pekka's motivations is also flawed:
>
> 'how much problems it causes for developers that don't have commit
> rights to the centralized repository!'
>
> Moving it all to Mercurial just so it's easier for someone else to
> create a forked lower-quality copy that accepts unreviewed patches is
> not a good motivation IMHO.

I hope you don't mean this:

https://github.com/penberg/classpath

because it's (a) not a fork (it's queue of patches I want to feed to
mainline) and (b) I don't merge unreviewed patches (I reviewed them
myself).

> The discussion earlier today:
>
> http://developer.classpath.org/pipermail/classpath-patches/2010-December/006528.html
>
> shows exactly why we do need patch review and discussion.

Again, I have nothing against patch review and discussion. My other
point of patches needing more swift attention has nothing to do with
my point about modern tooling.

>> The discussion on the patches mailinglist does show a real problem
>> though. We have very little active hackers, and so aren't doing very
>> well helping new hackers like Pekka and Ivan to get their work
>> integrated.
>
> I agree this is a problem.  But whining about it won't help.  Getting
> involved would.  I'm doing my best but I can't do everything.  There
> are only so many hours in the day.  I'd prefer to spend more of those
> hours on GNU Classpath rather than the intense boredom of
> IcedTea/OpenJDK work, but unfortunately that's not how the cards are
> stacked.

Well, sometimes you need a little bit of whining in order to change things. ;-)

P.S. I hope my blog post didn't come across as negative towards GNU
Classpath maintainers. I much appreciate the work you're doing and
just wanted to share my thoughts on what _I_ think needs to change for
people like me to be able to contribute to it.

                         Pekka