Re: Errors at building classpath, info attached (Real One)

On 30 April 2010 11:17, Mario Torre <neugens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 29/04/2010 alle 22.06 -0300, Marcos Roriz ha scritto:
>> Sorry for the last post, I hit enter unintentionally.
>> Guys, I tried building yersteday classpath cvs and after some problems
>> I got it to work :)
>
> Parabens Marcos, é muito bom!
>
> This means you got the first HelloWorld running? :)
>
>> First I'll tell what I had to do to get eclipse to get out of the red
>> state in errors. I copied these two files (which the wiki refers)
>> to .java:
>>       * classpath/gnu/classpath/Configuration.java.in
>>       * classpath/gnu/java/security/Configuration.java.in
>> Because the build uses the .in to configure, don' t move them (yes I
>> did that :'[). Also add the jaxme jar (usually on /usr/share/java) to
>> the build path (I thought that I needed antlr, am I missing something
>> here?) and we go down to two errors I think, which are basically
>> incompatibility with my version of jaxme.
>
> Oh, bad eclipse... I don't use it since ages, so I can't really help
> much here, but I remember this specific error. It should go away once
> you do a full build from command line, because those files are generated
> during the configure process (just refresh the project).
>
>> About the build problems:
>> Here's the first problem, it complains about the following errors
>> (Error 1) which can be fixed with Giuseppe Scrivano patch. I wonder
>> why the thread isn't showing on classpath-patch mailing list.
>
> Mmm, we should probably get this patch in so. I'm not sure why we didn't
> yet (well, perhaps nobody noticed it... :)
>
> Pun: If you succeed in making us commit this patch, you basically
> already pass the first task (revive GNU Classpath :P

No, it's because it's not the correct fix (as the author himself mentions).
I posted a patch too which properly corrects the warnings with a union
but we're dubious about applying it without more testing.  We decided
instead to just add -fno-strict-aliasing.

http://developer.classpath.org/pipermail/classpath/2009-October/002962.html

I thought this had been done, but clearly not.  I'll add it later
today.  You can workaround the build failure by adding
--disable-Werror.

>> The second error is about building the web plugin. It seems that on
>> ubuntu the mozilla headers are separated on two folders stable and
>> unstable. The build only get the stable directory. So here we can
>> upgrade to a newer version (which only have one directory) or compile
>> our own xulrunner. I did an upgrade to a newer version (got lucid
>> version), the error went away.
>
> I'm not sure on that either. Andrew(s)? I think this is because of some
> incompatibilities introduced by recent Firefox, if I'm not wrong, the
> development of the plugin moved completely in the IcedTea project, if
> that's the case, you may skip it (it's not needed for Escher anyway). If
> you make it work, or you really have time for that and want to try it,
> go for it, hacking is always fun, but keep in mind that is more
> important to get the whole thing up and running first than having each
> subsystem working properly (you need to fix GNU Classpath/Escher
> integration now).

i've mentioned before that we should probably just remove it, given
development has shifted to IcedTea.  We should at least not have it
enabled by default.

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8