Re: issue using jfree chart with gnu classpath 0.98

2009/8/17 New User <jpa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not part of the GNU Classpath team, but I'm using it and well, I have to
>
> say that I love it! At least for embedded systems it's great...
>
> But to answer your question, the method font.getName() isn't implemented
> (yet) in GNU Classpath 0.98. You can check the coverage for GNU Classpath
> against Java 1.5 on this site: http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-
> jdk15-classpath.html
>
> There you can find: 'method java.awt.Font.getName(): missing in classpath'.
> What is a nice answer I guess... It don't means that you can't use the
> java.awt.Font, but the method .getName isn't implemented yet.
>
> I hope this is a good answer for you question...
>
> Good luck,
> Jan Pannecoeck
>

> Dhaval Yoganandi <dhaval.yoganandi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

> Hi GNU classpath team,
>>
>>I'm facing some problem using jfree chart with GNU classpath 0.98 and
>>JamVM. I'm using a redhat based linux which is only console based linux
>>and doesn't support desktop and graphics. while running following demo
>>in my machine with JamVM I get NullPointerException but it is working
>>fine with JDK 1.5 with update 14. While generating chart with jfree
>>chart it is also giving the same error.
>>
>>import java.awt.Font;
>>public class FontDemo{
>>       public static void main(String args[]){
>>               Font f = new Font("SansSerif", Font.BOLD, 18);
>>               System.out.println(f.getName());
>>       }
>>}
>>
>>OUTPUT:
>>/bin/jamvm/bin/jamvm -cp . FontDemo      Exception in thread "main"
>>java.lang.NullPointerException
>>  at java.awt.Font.getName(Font.java:427)
>>  at FontDemo.main(FontDemo.java:5)
>>
>>can you shed some more light on this issue ?
>>
>>--
>>Thanks and Regards,
>>
>>Dhaval Yoganandi,
>>Jr. Software Engineer,
>>Elitecore Technologies Ltd.
>>Cyberoam.

Jan,

Thanks for the positive comments.  However, the link you refer to is
very outdated (2007).  If you check:

http://builder.classpath.org/japi/jdk15-classpath.html

you will find results against the current version of GNU Classpath,
rebuilt several times daily.
Links to this are available on the GNU Classpath homepage:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath

getName() is implemented, that's why it throws a NullPointerException
rather than not compiling.  Dhaval, please file this as a bug at
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla
--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8