Re: FW: Help a noob?

Greene, Geoffrey N wrote:

Hey there.

I'm trying to get classpath running on my sgi (old stuff, I know).
Can it be done?  I wanted to find out.

I have a very small java app I really want to get working.  Right now,
I only have Java 1.4 on this machine, but I really need 1.5.  I don't
care if 90% of java doesn't work.

OK, I've got all the underlying packages installed (gconf, orbit,
cairo, idl, etc etc etc.  Took me quite awhile to get them all).

In any event When I do a ./configure --disable-plugin, I get a
complaint about missing javac -source 1.5

But that's weird.  This is supposed to be a REPLACEMENT for java...why
would it need javac?  How can I get around the need for javac?  And
why is it needed anyway?

Also, I notice the "WARNING...in the code below: checking jni_md.h
support... configure: WARNING: no"

Can anyone help? (or make a suggestion of how to get a java 1.5
running on an sgi?)

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Taken from the Classpath website: "GNU Classpath, Essential Libraries for Java, is a GNU project to create free core class libraries for use with virtual machines and compilers for the java programming language." That said, you'll need some sort of a compiler to compile these class libraries. I don't know you'll be able to get around that requirement, other than using a Classpath build from somewhere else ... (though I could be wrong).

Cheers,
Josh