Re: Savannah has Mercurial!

2008/6/6 Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 03:37 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>> I just noticed this announcement when submitting the news announcement
>> for 0.97.2.
>
> Thanks for doing 0.97.2. I see Michael Koch already pushed it into
> Debian!

Wow, that was quick! I guess because he was already testing
pre-releases earlier this week.

>> What do people think to the idea of switching?  Maybe post 0.98?
>
> I wouldn't object (although I don't really have trouble with CVS at this
> point with classpath). So if enough developers think it is a positive
> switch lets do it. We would be the second project on savannah though, so
> expect some first adopter issues.
>
> The only thing we have to really look out for is doing a good
> conversion, some experimentation with hg convert and/or tailor might be
> necessary.
>
> Also a better understanding (best practices for) release branches would
> be nice. I found the in-tree branching of mercurial somewhat confusing
> at times, so it would be good to make sure we have clear guidelines for
> those who want to do (release) branches on the tree would be nice.

A lot of thought does need to go into it, which is why if we do
switch, I wouldn't want to do so before 0.98 is out,
as it could delay it even further.

I did try to hg convert it once and didn't get very far.  A tree as
old as Classpath will be non-trivial.

As to release branches, I actually prefer a completely separate tree
(like icedtea/icedtea6) rather than in-tree branches, but I'm
not sure Savannah would support this.

> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Cheers,
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8