Re: Need help to understand Classpath's license

Laurent Debacker wrote:
> Hello,

Salut Laurent,

> By reading the GPL exception at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html, I came across the
> following term: "As a special exception, the copyright holders of this
> library give you permission to link this library with independent modules to
> produce an executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent
> modules". Does it mean that classpath can be linked against other libraries
> which do not call classpath,

Yes.

 or that programs can be linked against the
> classpath (given that the apllication is "a module which is not derived from
> or based on this library"). In the later case, the application is certainly

Yes.

> based on the API, but not on the implementation indeed.

> My concern is the following one: given a non-GPL application compiled
> against a static API whose implementation is not provided during the
> compilation process, and an implementation of the library released under the
> classical GPL.

Irrelevant for Classpath, as it is not released under 'classical GPL'.

> Indeed, given a compiled java
> application, can I run it given a GPL class library?

Yes. See Freedom 0.

[skipped a bunch of questions about trolltech and bash]

> Any suggestion is welcome :)

Well, this should have been as good as any. ;)

If you want to have answers to further questions, you may want to
consult FSF's licensing and compliance lab.

They can help you figure out how the GNU Classpath license works in your
specific usage scenario, much faster than constructing hypothetical
examples on this mailing list can.

Please consult http://www.fsf.org/licensing for details on how to
request their services.

cheers,