RE: Classpath 0.95 / 0.96 pre: Configure bug, Out of mem with javac

kus Kusche Klaus writes:

 > Well, I don't see any actual bug in Sun's javac.

Bugs are in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

 > It runs with a size-limited heap, and the default size is too low
 > for us (I run out of java heap space).
 > That's Sun's design decision,
 > we have to live with it and work around it.
 >
 > If Classpath knows that javac needs more heap for compiling
 > "@classes", it should automatically pass the corresponding
 > "-J-X" options to javac.
 > This should not require manual manpage reading
 > and makefile fiddling.
 >
 > "-J-Xmx128m" still bombs out (but later than the default),
 > "-J-Xmx256m" works for me.

The trouble with this, of course, is that it varies depending on the
machine architecture and the particular VM being used.  Some VMs will
abort if passed this option, so you have to do some kind of probing to
find out what VM is in use.  All very messy, and so unnecessary.

Andrew.