RE: Classpath 0.95 / 0.96 pre: Configure bug, Out of mem with javac

> Andrew John Hughes writes:
>  > On Tuesday 02 October 2007 09:20:54 kus Kusche Klaus wrote:
>  > > Hello!
>  > >
>  > > Two problems when building classpath 0.96 pre (about 1 week old),
>  > > similar problem in 0.95, on 32 bit x86 linux (Gentoo):
>  > >
>  > > 1. "javac" runs out of memory when making in subdirectory lib
>  > > when compiling "@classes".
>  > >
>  > > This is an original Sun javac version 1.6.0_02.
>  > >
>  > > javac works and successfully compiles code
>  > > in several other make steps, but "@classes" is just too
> much for it.
>
> This is a bug in Sun's VM.  See
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-VM/html/gbywc.html
>
> Also
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/javac.htm
> l#options
>
> The -J option
>
>     -Joption
>
>     Pass option to the java launcher called by javac. For example,
>     -J-Xms48m sets the startup memory to 48 megabytes. Although it
>     does not begin with -X, it is not a `standard option' of javac. It
>     is a common convention for -J to pass options to the underlying VM
>     executing applications written in Java.

Well, I don't see any actual bug in Sun's javac.

It runs with a size-limited heap, and the default size is too low
for us (I run out of java heap space).
That's Sun's design decision,
we have to live with it and work around it.

If Classpath knows that javac needs more heap for compiling
"@classes", it should automatically pass the corresponding
"-J-X" options to javac.
This should not require manual manpage reading
and makefile fiddling.

"-J-Xmx128m" still bombs out (but later than the default),
"-J-Xmx256m" works for me.

Greetings

--
Klaus Kusche, DI. Dr.                    Software Development - Control
KEBA AG                        Gewerbepark Urfahr, A-4041 Linz, Austria