RE: Classpath / Icedtea & Qtopia

Hello!

> From: Roman Kennke [mailto:roman.kennke@xxxxxxxxx]
>
> Not out of the box. The Qt peers are somewhat unmaintained at the
> moment. I did some splitting out in the GTK peers lately, so that they
> compile without X. I guess, something similar could be done for the Qt
> peers.

"Unmaintained" doesn't sound very promising.
I had the impression that the Qt backend with Qtopia
is less risky and more likely to get useable
(and more stable and reliable for the future)
than the GTK + directfb combination.

Is it agreed that GTK + directfb is the way to go
for X-less framebuffer, instead of Qtopia?

> > Has anybody ever been able to run classpath on top of Qtopia?
>
> Not that I know.

Well, I managed to compile it (in fact, the piece of code mentioned
in my first mail was dead code: not called from anywhere...).

It even starts and initializes the framebuffer
(it fills the whole screen with a single color),
and it seems to be alive (cursor moves when moving the mouse),
but nothing more:
It doesn't draw anything and doesn't react to input events.

> > Any other options for framebuffer-based (X11-less) classpath?
>
> As I said, the GTK peers (in CVS HEAD) should be able to
> compile without
> X, and might or might not run on GTK/Embedded.

I'm behind a firewall which blocks CVS access.
Will there be a release with that code any time soon?
Are there any daily snapshots available via http or ftp?

With GTK/Embedded, you mean GTK + directfb?

> > 2.) Icedtea currently needs X11 and Gtk.
> > Are there any plans to support other GUI backends in Icedtea
> > (Qt / Qtopia, Escher, ...)?
>
> It would be a worthwhile effort to split out the Classpath peers, so
> that they can be used with OpenJDK/IcedTea. I've had some success with
> the GTK peers a while ago, but I'm not sure if this works out
> of the box right now.

You mean just try to take the peer code from classpath,
put it into an OpenJDK tree, and try it?

Greetings

--
Klaus Kusche, DI. Dr.                    Software Development - Control
KEBA AG                        Gewerbepark Urfahr, A-4041 Linz, Austria