Re: IcedTea - Where is this going to head?

Robert Schuster writes:

 > on IRC #classpath I read a lot of interesting things are happening
 > around IcedTea and Classpath. People put Classpath stuff into IcedTea,
 > Cacao gets support for the latter. Fedora people try to get this working
 > on all arches (that GCJ supports :) ).
 >
 > I am wondering what the goals of all these efforts are? I am really
 > curious about this. If you have some time between your doings I would be
 > very happy if someone could shed some light on this. :)
 >

>From my POV, the first priority is a fully free OpenJDK, running on
all the platforms we care about.  We have only Classpath code into
IcedTea where there are missing parts of OpenJDK.

Further down the road there are other issues such as platform
integration, performance improvements, and so on, but that's not our
primary focus.

 > What interests me also if there is a future where GCJ can use IcedTea as
 > its class library

It's certainly possible, but I haven't thought about it.

 > and whether the current cacao porting efforts are a test scenario
 > for this

Andrew.