Re: J2SE compliant RE for Arm Linux

On Sunday 24 June 2007 21:58, Søren Boll Overgaard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As part of my switch to a new job, I've been trying to convince my
> employers to switch from C++ to java on an embedded ARM based platform.
>
> However, in order for the switch to be reasonably painless, we will need
> a J2SE compliant (although we don't need any GUI components) runtime
> environment for the embedded platform. I've been looking at various
> alternatives based on GNU classpath (as well as a few others). They
> include jamvm, mika, PERC, kaffe, gcj and a few more. So far, none of
> the the platforms I've been looking at (except PERC, which is
> prohibitively priced) support J2SE 5.0. Thus, my question is, can you
> provide me with a pointer to a J2SE 5.0 JRE (GNU classpath based or
> otherwise) which will run on an ARM Linux platform?

Hi Søren,

It really depends what you mean by a 'J2SE 5.0 JRE' -- what particular
features have you found lacking in the solutions you've tried?  GNU Classpath
itself should support 95%+ of the 1.5 API, and, as of the 0.95 release, is
only buildable with a 1.5 supporting compiler.  Personally, I've been using
JamVM with 1.5 stuff for about the last three years.

If there is something missing, please file a bug with the respective project
and let them know (GNU Classpath for library classes, the appropriate VM
otherwise).  Which version of gcj and kaffe did you try?  These projects
differ quite significantly between their current release versions and the
version in their source repositories, and don't (as yet) directly use GNU
Classpath, so there is some delay between code being written there and being
imported into their own local tree.

Hope that helps,
--
Andrew :-)