Re: OpenJDK, CLasspath - where are things happening?

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 04:21 +0200, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> I was very excited by the release of OpenJDK under GPL, and was
> expecting the Classpath community to rise to the occasion and basically
> select the best tidbits for a common merge.

Which is basically what is happening in the background, see the work by
the JNode team or IKVM, but things take some time. It isn't always
simple mix-and-match. And people have their current projects to take
care of. GNU Classpath is used by so many projects that we do keep
fixing and improving it as is, not everybody has been upgraded to our
latest 0.95 release for example.

> I have been reluctant to contribute to any Java clone simply because the
> JVM's we are using are all Sun based, so it would not be beneficial to
> me - that is before now.  I would therefore like to know what has
> happened.  Is Classpath being abandoned as everybody is flocking to the
> openjdk forums?  Is everybody just talking over IRC?  Or something else?

There is some coordination work being done on some of the openjdk lists
and on irc. There are many many openjdk lists, so you have to search a
little to get all the threads. See
http://blogs.sun.com/tmarble/date/20070531
Big picture overviews can generally be found on
http://planet.classpath.org/

> I built the OpenJDK under Linux, just to see it was possible.  The first
> thing I wondered about was that the Java code was built by Make instead
> of Ant, so already there there is a great deal of possible improvements.

:) I am not sure inserting ant in the build process will improve things.
But autoconfiscating openjdk would be nice. A bigger problem is that
there all these binary blobs that need to be replaced before it really
is buildable on and as a free software project. But there are some
people working on replacements to get things going.

Cheers,

Mark