Re: Question about license

It is clearly written in http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html .
> > If you modify any single line of the GNU Classpath, this is another > story. Then, I think, you must release the modified version of > Classpath (not all your JRE) under the same GPL+Exception license.

Where does it say that?

Andrew.

Modifying and then compiling into executable is not just linking. Linking is when you l ink with unchanged code. Hence this case is not covered by our linking exception.

Hence, for this case, for the GNU Classpath code, all GPL terms apply:
"you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. "

The GPL terms does not extend to the code of the proprietary JRE because in the linking exception is written that "If you modify this library, you may extend this exception to your version of the library". If the exception is extended,
the modified version can be linked with the proprietary code as well, the
modified versions can be released, but this does not free from the duty
to release the modified code of the GNU Classpath part.

There is a good FAQ on various GPL related questions at
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html. Apart the GPL itself, this is
the main source I used to produce my answer.

While, I repeat, I am not a lawyer, sometimes I observe a little bit of FUD
around the GPL. Because of this, I decided to reply to the initiating
message.

Audrius

Audrius.