Re: GNU Classpath Trivia

Hi Mario,

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 13:04 +0100, Mario Torre wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 15/12/2006 alle 12.39 +0100, Mark Wielaard ha scritto:
>
> > This concludes the official GNU Classpath trivia contest roundup.
> > Figuring out the "Why" behind each and every wacky word name is left as
> > an exercise to the reader.
>
> My guesses:

Seems you got them almost all correct. Now what is left for the others
wanting to play? :)

> > > 0.91 "All for One, One for All"
>
> I Miss it... (this was just before I started helping a bit):(
> Just one guess (from NEWS):
>
> The VM interfaces of the main branch and the generics branch are now
> consistent with one another.

Yes, that is right. We had a lot of coordination between the various
runtime developers during this release to get the interfaces more in
sync.

> > > 0.92 "Bling! Bling!"
>
> From an old xchat log:
>
> ago 10 13:16:46 aph     neugens: yon not familiar with the word
> "bling" ?
> ago 10 13:16:57 neugens	aph: no
> ago 10 13:17:05 aph     neugens: it means flashy jewlery, showing off
> ago 10 13:17:14 aph     lots of shiny gold
> ago 10 13:17:24 neugens	ah, I understand
> ago 10 13:17:38 neugens	aph: thanks
> ago 10 13:17:49 neugens	aph: I guess it is an appropriate name
> ago 10 13:18:05 aph     it's mjw's, er, sense of humour

HaHa. And indeed. This was the first release for which we enabled the
cairo Graphics2D implementation by default.

> > I got reminded that although 0.17 didn't officially have a 'wacky word
> > version name', it was called slightly different from the rest:
> >
> > 0.17 GNU Classpatchy
>
> I Miss it (2) :(

This was quick release just a few weeks after our 0.16 Harmony! release.
It contained a bug-fix patch for a somewhat embarrassing bug with saving
eclipse workspaces that slipped through in the release process. This was
also the release that several apache hackers started to help out with
the code. And so we made this wordplay that showed how GNU and Apache
were harmoniously patching together!

> Mark, I hope to have some free time next week to prepare a couple of
> surprises before Christmas :)

I cannot wait till Christmas!

Cheers,

Mark