Re: Antigrain instead of Cairo for Java2D?

Am Montag, den 11.12.2006, 12:39 +0100 schrieb Juerg Lehni:
> Today I came across this impressive rendering library here:
>
> http://www.antigrain.com/
>
> It is licensed under GPL and from what I read it seems to be able to
> solve the performance issues people here where facing with the Cairo
> Java2D backend.
>
> There seems to be work done on a Antigrain backend for Cairo, maybe
> this would be an easy way to find out:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-September/008028.html
> http://ehielscher.org/agg-surface.php
>
> Also of interest:
>
> http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/neko/2006-June/001136.html

Thanks for the pointers. This certainly looks interesting. When there's
work done on a Cairo backend for Antigrain, then it sounds more
interesting to keep going with the Cairo implementation for Java2D (for
portability's sake) and make use of Antigrain via Cairo. Also AFAIK
there's lots of work done to improve Cairo performance, and the OpenGL
accelerated X servers will certainly help too.

Of course if somebody (you?) is willing to hack together a Java2D
backend based on plain Antigrain, then I wouldn't say no :-)

/Roman