Antigrain instead of Cairo for Java2D?

Today I came across this impressive rendering library here:

http://www.antigrain.com/

It is licensed under GPL and from what I read it seems to be able to solve the performance issues people here where facing with the Cairo Java2D backend.

There seems to be work done on a Antigrain backend for Cairo, maybe this would be an easy way to find out:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-September/008028.html
http://ehielscher.org/agg-surface.php

Also of interest:

http://lists.motion-twin.com/pipermail/neko/2006-June/001136.html