Re: Running Sun's javac on Classpath

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 15:06 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 13:52 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > which is caused by this line:
> >
> >     private static final Pattern noMatches  = Pattern.compile("(\\P{all})+");
> >
> > "all" doesn't seem to be a well-defined regular-expression construct.
> > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/regex/Pattern.html
> > doesn't mention it, but I guess it's something like:
> > [...]
>
> Andrew Hughes did add something similar to the generics branch (but not
> the the trunk yet):
>
> 2006-11-13  Andrew John Hughes  <gnu_andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>         * gnu/java/util/regex/RETokenNamedProperty.java:
>         (getHandler(String)): Add support for 'all'.

This patch is on HEAD too as of the weekend.

> > Once we're past that, all goes well until
> >
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun.misc.Service
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment.initProcessorIterator(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:209)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment.<init>(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:159)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.initProcessAnnotations(JavaCompiler.java:891)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.compile(JavaCompiler.java:741)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:370)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:296)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:287)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile(Main.java:86)
> >    at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.main(Main.java:71)
> >
> > which is caused by
> >
> >                         Iterator<Processor> it =
> >                             Service.providers(Processor.class, processorCL);
> >
> > As I understand it, sun.misc.Service has now been promoted to
> > java.util.Service, but I can't anywhere find a specification for this
> > class.
>
> Note that we have a ServiceFactory class in gnu.classpath with a static
> method: Iterator lookupProviders(Class, ClassLoader); which most likely
> does what you want here.

I already created both this and stubs for the annotation parsing stuff
when I first looked at this about a week ago. There is a link to these
on my blog.  Sorry, I should have posted about this to the list as well.

I managed to get javac to compile with ecj, and it ran to a point with
most VMs.  From what I see here in the mails and on IRC, you managed to
get it to work with gcj-eclipse which I guessed would be the case (I
just was unable to get a build going, due to low space at the moment).
A status update is on the wiki:

http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathCurrentTopics

So what we need to decide now is whether we want this stuff on HEAD, I
guess.

> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Cheers,
--
Andrew :-)

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }