New java.text implementation

Hi!

We have discussed on IRC about making ICU4J [1] our default
implementation of the java.text package.

The ICU4J api contains few classes that are almost a one-to-one
replacement of the java.text API, as well as some classes that are
needed for correct operation.

The library is copyright by IBM and is licensed under the X license, so
I guess there will be no problem using it for Classpath, I would like to
have other opinions here.

I had the opportunity to read about this library and if I have
understood well everything, even Sun JDK uses it for the main
implementation of java.text, this will close the gap in functionality
for this package, and makes us a little ahead if we want to integrate
the two environment at some point (how I like to write this! Still I
can't believe it happened!!)

Not everything is easy as it seems, though; for example, the Collator
stuff does not support full decomposition, and this will have to be
implemented.

I don't know the internals yet, so I cannot be sure of all the
implications, but I guess that we could add some of our old
implementation to the class to integrate it.

With Mark, I've discussed about some possible ways to integrate this
stuff.

The one that seems to be most useful is to add the library as is into
the /external directory of Classpath then write wrapper classes in the
java.text package.

This way we don't have to change code inside ICU4J, and we can also take
our old implementation at hand.

I'm open to suggestions, here. In the meantime, I'm working on the
DecimalFormat class, as this is the one that takes less work (and I know
it well, as I've spent the last two months on this :).

Thanks,
Mario

[1] http://icu.sourceforge.net/
--