Re: A question @Mark Wilaard (and other developer)

>>> I think three different OpenSource implementations would be the
>>> worst case scenario, if Sun makes its Java OpenSource.

FWIW, I tend to agree overall.  Our experience merging libgcj with
classpath was that the merge improved both -- sometimes the libgcj
code was better, sometimes the classpath code was better.

Parts of the class libraries are platform dependent or worth replacing
depending on the VM or can have different implementations with
different properties.  But, most of the libraries are not like this.

In these cases I think the most desirable result is a single
implementation.

And, there's nothing forcing an all-or-nothing approach; we can do as
much or as little makes sense.

That said, the details matter; cf the harmony situation.

If Sun's terms are acceptable I would consider petitioning the FSF to
let us freely merge code back and forth.  Whether this will be the
case, and whether Sun would be interested in the kind of disruption
that this might entail, remains to be seen.

Tom